Investigators Find Hate-Filled Journals, Weapons Linked to Mass Shooter

Authorities say new evidence shows the Annunciation School shooter left behind hate-filled writings, videos and weapons marked with racist anti-religious messages.

Investigators are investigating the attack as a possible hate crime and act of domestic terrorism.

> Sign up for the MN CRIME newsletter

Authorities confirmed that two children died and 18 other people were injured after a gunman fired into a South Minneapolis church during a school Mass on Wednesday morning.

Police identified the shooter as a 23-year-old former student, Robin Westman, who died at the scene from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound. Investigators say Westman acted alone and used three firearms, and that surveillance video shows the shooter never entered the church. Police said staff locked doors to the church before Mass began, which likely prevented a worse outcome, and that the shooter tried to barricade one doorway from the outside. Officials said the guns used were purchased legally.

PREVIOUSLY: 2 Children Killed, 17 Hurt in Minneapolis Shooting

Crime scene teams recovered 116 rifle casings, three shotgun shell casings, and one live pistol round. Search warrants were served at locations in South Minneapolis, Richfield and St. Louis Park, where officers seized hundreds of items including notebooks, digital devices and other writings. Officials said a manifesto-style post linked to the suspect was briefly published online but was taken down by law enforcement. Authorities say they are still analyzing the suspects electronic devices.

Two Annunciation School students, ages 8 and 10, were killed in the shooting. Fifteen children between 6 and 15 years old and three parishioners in their 80s were also injured. Police said all of the people who were wounded are expected to survive, including two who were initially reported to be in critical condition.

READ MORE > Minneapolis coverage

Families identified the two children who died as Fletcher Alexander Merkel, 8, and Harper Lillian Moyski, 10. The Hennepin County Medical Examiner later confirmed their identities.

Jesse Merkel, father of 8‑year‑old Fletcher, said of the shooter: “A coward decided to take our 8‑year‑old son away from us. We will never be allowed to hold him, talk to him, play with him, and watch him grow on the path to becoming.” Harper Moyski’s parents said they are “shattered,” remembering their daughter as “bright, joyful, and deeply loved.”

Federal and local officials said the attack is being investigated as domestic terrorism and a possible hate crime against Catholics. Acting U.S. Attorney Joseph Thompson said the shooter "expressed hate towards almost every group imaginable. More than anything, the shooter wanted to kill children, defenseless children," Thompson said. “The shooter wanted to watch children suffer.”

Minneapolis Police Chief Brian O’Hara said investigators are reviewing hundreds of pages of documents, videos and devices to piece together motive—though no specific motive has emerged yet. Authorities found videos and writings showing antisemitic, anti-religious and racist messages—along with references to past mass murderers—on the shooter’s weapons and posted online before being removed.

In response, Minneapolis police have expanded patrols at Annunciation and other schools across the city. Extra squads from Saint Paul police, the Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office and other agencies are assisting, along with 14 Minnesota State Patrol troopers and six DNR officers. The added patrols are split into two-person squads assigned across all five precincts.

City leaders also released mental-health resources for families and directed residents to a disaster distress hotline. Officials said donations can be made through a Minneapolis Foundation fund, and neighborhood vigils are being organized.

> See more of our latest coverage

Follow on X or YouTube for more

Help make MN safer with real-time alerts, LIVE video, 24/7 Safety Agents & much more: Download Citizen now

MN CRIME

A multimedia public safety information network providing breaking and in-depth coverage around Minnesota.

Previous
Previous

Bloomington Police Uncover Organized Sex Trafficking Scheme

Next
Next

SWAT Returns Fire, Killing Armed Man in West St. Paul Standoff