Crystal Road Rage Incident Leads to 4 Felony Charges

BY MN CRIME STAFF

A road rage confrontation in Crystal has led to felony charges after prosecutors say a 33-year-old man pointed a handgun at another driver.

The incident happened earlier this month on Bass Lake Road near Brooklyn Boulevard.

Court records show Marcel Christian Stephane Zeh Dekoum, of Minneapolis, is charged with three counts of second-degree assault with a dangerous weapon and one count of threats of violence.

According to the criminal complaint, a woman driving a Chevy Tahoe called 911 to report that a man in a black Lexus was following her vehicle and pointing a gun at its occupants. She told dispatchers the Lexus was traveling near Bass Lake Road and later pulled into a Popeyes parking lot before continuing toward nearby businesses.

> Sign up for the MN CRIME newsletter

Officers located the Lexus near Planet Fitness and Marshalls. Zeh Dekoum exited the vehicle and was detained. He immediately told officers he had a permit to carry and that a handgun was inside the vehicle. Officers recovered a black and tan Canik 9mm handgun positioned between the driver’s seat and center console. The firearm did not have a round in the chamber, though officers removed 10 hollow-point rounds from the weapon. Authorities confirmed Zeh Dekoum held a valid permit to carry.

Investigators then interviewed the three people inside the Tahoe.

A front-seat passenger told officers the Lexus pulled alongside their vehicle after a traffic maneuver involving another vehicle. She said the driver lowered his window slightly and pointed a black handgun directly at them, with the barrel extending beyond the window. She described fearing the driver was about to shoot.

READ MORE > Hennepin County coverage

A backseat passenger reported seeing a black or grey firearm extended from the Lexus while the vehicles were stopped at a red light. He said he quickly looked away because he was afraid.

The Tahoe’s driver told officers the Lexus began tailgating after the vehicles merged into one lane. She said she did not personally see a firearm but heard her passenger say the driver next to them was pointing a gun. She called 911 while continuing to drive and changed direction to reach a safe location.

Police arrested Zeh Dekoum at the scene and transported him to the Hennepin County Jail. Records show bail was set at $50,000 with conditions or $100,000 without conditions. Zeh Dekoum has since posted bond and was released pending his next court appearance set for March 10.

Each assault charge carries a potential sentence of up to seven years in prison and a $14,000 fine, with a mandatory minimum sentence of three years if convicted.

> See more of our latest coverage

> Follow on X or YouTube for more

MN CRIME

A multimedia public safety information network providing breaking and in-depth coverage around Minnesota.

Previous
Previous

Rochester Man Charged in Strangulation Assault, Foot Chase

Next
Next

Repeat Offender Charged in Columbia Heights Chase