Rochester Man Charged in Strangulation Assault, Foot Chase

BY MN CRIME STAFF

A Rochester man is facing multiple charges after allegedly assaulting a woman at her home and fleeing police on foot when they arrived.

The incident happened the morning of Friday, Feb. 7, 2026, at a residence in the 2000 block of 18 1/2 Avenue Northwest in Rochester.

Prosecutors have charged Star Moonbeam Schmidt, 21, with felony domestic assault, domestic assault by strangulation, gross misdemeanor domestic assault subsequent violation and misdemeanor fleeing a peace officer on foot.

> Sign up for the MN CRIME newsletter

According to court records, police were called to the home shortly around 8 a.m. after a woman reported an assault involving a former partner. The woman told officers she and Schmidt had been in a relationship for about a year and a half but had recently broken up. She said Schmidt didn’t live at the residence and had refused to leave.

The woman told police the confrontation began when she asked to use Schmidt’s phone to call her grandmother. After initially allowing it, Schmidt demanded the phone back before she could make the call. She told him to leave, but investigators say Schmidt approached her, causing her to retreat into her bedroom out of fear based on past incidents, the documents allege.

The woman barricaded the bedroom door with furniture, including a bed, dresser and side table. Investigators say Schmidt forced his way inside by using his shoulder, damaging the latch and denting the door before entering.

Once inside, prosecutors allege Schmidt threw the woman onto the bed head-first, knocking items off a dresser as she struggled. As she screamed for help through an open window, Schmidt allegedly placed his hands over her nose and mouth to prevent her from screaming, causing her to be unable to breathe. The woman told police she tried to make him stop by tapping him before biting his hand, which caused him to release her. She then fled the residence.

READ MORE > Rochester coverage

The woman also told investigators Schmidt had previously held her head underwater, threatened to kill her and followed her in public.

While officers were at the residence, police announced their presence and heard a loud noise before a window screen fell from the home. An officer then saw a tall male running away and chased him on foot, repeatedly ordering him to stop. The man continued running alongside the building before eventually stopping and surrendering. Officers identified him as Schmidt and took him into custody.

Court records show Schmidt has prior domestic violence-related convictions stemming from a March 2025 case in Olmsted County. He was convicted Dec. 3, 2025, of misdemeanor domestic assault and fifth-degree assault after other charges in that case were dismissed. Because of those prior qualified domestic violence-related offenses, prosecutors filed the new domestic assault allegations at the felony level.

Jail records show Schmidt was booked the same morning on the new charges and remains in custody as of publication. If convicted, Schmidt faces a maximum sentence of five years in prison on the felony domestic assault charge and up to three years on the strangulation charge.

> See more of our latest coverage

> Follow on X or YouTube for more

MN CRIME

A multimedia public safety information network providing breaking and in-depth coverage around Minnesota.

Next
Next

Crystal Road Rage Incident Leads to 4 Felony Charges