Teen Charged After Columbia Heights Restaurant Gunfire Injures 2

BY MN CRIME STAFF

Gunfire inside a Columbia Heights restaurant left two teenagers wounded after a confrontation escalated into an exchange of gunfire.

The shooting happened around 8:45 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 14 at the New York Gyro restaurant on the 4600 block of Central Avenue Northeast.

> Sign up for the MN CRIME newsletter

Prosecutors charged Khalid Hassan Mowlid, 18, of Maple Grove, with one count each of second-degree assault with a dangerous weapon and intentional discharge of a firearm that endangers safety.

Authorities received reports of shots fired inside the restaurant and soon learned two males with gunshot wounds had arrived at Mercy Hospital–Unity Campus. Both were later transferred to other hospitals for higher levels of trauma care. One man suffered a gunshot wound to the groin while Mowlid was treated for three gunshot wounds to his left lower leg.

PREVIOUSLY: 2 Hurt After Gunfire Inside Columbia Heights Restaurant

Investigators say surveillance video and witness statements show a large group of males gathered inside the restaurant before tensions rose near the restroom area. A witness told detectives she was eating with family when yelling started near the restrooms, and moments later shots were fired. She reported seeing muzzle flashes inside the restaurant and additional gunfire coming from the vestibule area, saying it appeared shots were coming from both locations.

According to the complaint, video footage shows five males entering the restaurant earlier in the evening and sitting at booths before three more joined them. Nearly an hour later, a white Mercedes-Benz arrived and several occupants went inside, including Mowlid and another male later identified as one of the shooting victims. Investigators say body language captured on video showed the groups recognized one another and quickly became involved in a verbal confrontation.

READ MORE > Columbia Heights coverage

Authorities allege a male from one group suddenly produced a handgun and fired toward Mowlid and the other man, shattering glass in the vestibule area as they ducked and ran toward the exit. Detectives say the shooter advanced and fired additional rounds into the vestibule.

Exterior surveillance footage then showed Mowlid backing out through the entrance doors while facing the interior of the restaurant. Investigators say the video shows he raised his right hand and fired back into the building, with bullets striking a wall behind the counter area. Moments later, Mowlid collapsed outside while still holding what investigators described as a handgun.

Crime scene investigators determined at least two rounds entered the restaurant from the vestibule toward the front counter. Detectives also interviewed the other wounded male, who said the confrontation began after he recognized people he thought had assaulted him about a month earlier.

During an interview, Mowlid told investigators he did not know who shot him and claimed he did not think the gun he had was real.

Court records show Mowlid made an initial court appearance Friday and was granted conditional release without posting bail. His conditions require him to remain on intensive supervision, obey all laws and surrender his passport. If convicted, the most serious charge carries a potential prison sentence of seven years.

> See more of our latest coverage

> Follow on X or YouTube for more

MN CRIME

A multimedia public safety information network providing breaking and in-depth coverage around Minnesota.

Previous
Previous

Felony Charge Filed After 1-Year-Old Tests Positive for Cocaine

Next
Next

Man Charged in Girlfriend’s Killing Following Wright County Pursuit