BCA Releases New Details in Duluth Deputy-Involved Shooting

BY MN CRIME STAFF

 

Authorities have released new details about a deputy-involved shooting investigators believe is tied to a Duluth homicide earlier the same day.

The Midwest Medical Examiner’s Office identified the man who died during the Feb. 10 use-of-force incident as 30-year-old Donald Felver III, of Duluth.

> Sign up for the MN CRIME newsletter

The Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension said Saint Louis County Sheriff’s Office Sergeant Joshua Berndt and Deputy Matthew Sobczak fired their department-issued firearms during the incident.

The Saint Louis County Sheriff’s Office placed both deputies on critical incident leave following the shooting, which is standard procedure. Berndt has 19 years of law enforcement experience and Sobczak has 16 years.

PREVIOUSLY: Police Say Duluth Homicide Suspect Killed in Deputy Shooting

According to the BCA’s preliminary investigation, deputies attempted to stop an erratic driver, later identified as Felver, on Grand Avenue shortly before 9:45 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 10. Authorities say Felver fled, leading deputies on a pursuit before Sergeant Berndt performed a PIT maneuver in the 7900 block of Grand Avenue, bringing the vehicle to a stop sideways in the roadway.

READ MORE > Duluth coverage

Investigators say the deputies exited their squad vehicles and gave verbal commands as they approached the vehicle when gunfire was discharged from inside Felver’s vehicle toward them. Both deputies returned fire, striking Felver, who was the sole occupant. He was pronounced dead at the scene. No deputies were injured.

BCA crime scene personnel recovered a handgun and spent shell casings from inside the vehicle. Officials said body-worn cameras were activated and captured portions of the incident.

Earlier this week, Duluth Police Chief Mike Ceynowa and Saint Louis County Sheriff Gordon Ramsay said they believe Felver is the man responsible for the death of 33-year-old Darius Handy, of Duluth, who was shot earlier in the day Feb. 10, in the 400 block of Piedmont Avenue in Duluth. Officers responding to reports of gunfire found Handy suffering from gunshot wounds and attempted CPR, but he was pronounced dead at the scene.

PREVIOUSLY: 33-Year-Old Man Found Fatally Shot in Duluth

Officials said further analysis of evidence from both scenes is underway to confirm that connection.

The Saint Louis County Sheriff’s Office requested the BCA conduct the investigation. Once completed, the agency will forward its findings without recommendation on charges to the Saint Louis County Attorney’s Office for review.

> See more of our latest coverage

> Follow on X or YouTube for more

MN CRIME

A multimedia public safety information network providing breaking and in-depth coverage around Minnesota.

Previous
Previous

3 Charged After Man Beaten, Run Over in Gas Station Attack

Next
Next

Investigators Link Woodbury Man to 4-Vehicle Minneapolis Crash