3 Charged in Maplewood Hotel Robbery, Assault

BY MN CRIME STAFF

Three people are charged after prosecutors say a man was assaulted, threatened with a knife and robbed inside a Maplewood hotel.

Police were dispatched shortly before 10 p.m. on Friday, Jan. 30, to Emerald Inn at 2025 County Road D on a robbery report.

Jorge Mauricio Castillo, 34, of Hinckley, is charged with first-degree aggravated robbery. Julian Sebastian Castro, 33, of Eagan, is charged with first-degree aggravated robbery and fleeing a peace officer in a motor vehicle. Kellie Shelene Nelson, 32, of Hinckley, is also charged with first-degree aggravated robbery.

According to criminal complaints, officers located the victim in a third-floor hotel room. He told investigators he had previously helped Castro, an acquaintance he knew as “Rico,” move belongings during a snowstorm but was unable to deliver everything. The victim said Castro later threatened him over the dispute.

> Sign up for the MN CRIME newsletter

The victim told police he was sitting in a friend’s Chevrolet Malibu around 9:40 p.m. when Castro approached, ordered him to roll down the window and then punched him in the face and side of the head. Castro demanded money for the missing property and threatened to “f*** him up” if he didn’t pay, according to the complaint.

The victim said he claimed he might have money in his hotel room as a stall tactic. Castro and another suspect followed him inside and up to the third floor, where Castro ordered him to empty his pockets. The second suspect stood nearby holding an open switchblade at his side. The victim reported the suspects took his wallet, vehicle keys, cell phone, about $140 in cash and a grey box containing scrap jewelry. He said he handed over the items because he feared being stabbed or assaulted.

Additional items were later reported missing, including a purple laptop bag with Beats headphones, a black Puma backpack and a blue Patagonia backpack.

Police soon located a black GMC Yukon traveling west on County Road D East near White Bear Avenue and attempted a traffic stop. Investigators say the driver fled at speeds exceeding 100 mph before squad vehicles pinned the SUV against a brick barrier. Castro, Castillo, Nelson and Alma Rosa Linda Torres, 28, were taken into custody.

According to the complaint, Castro said at the scene, “That’s my f*ing b** a** brother and I socked his stupid a** in the mouth cuz he stole a thousand dollars from me.”

 

READ MORE > Maplewood coverage

After being read his rights, Castro told officers he went to the hotel to confront his brother, believing he had stolen $900 and tools from him. Castro admitted striking him but denied committing a robbery and claimed he fled because he was afraid of police.

A woman who drove the victim told investigators a black SUV she described as a Tahoe blocked her vehicle in the parking lot. She said Castro approached, began punching the victim and pulled him from the car while accusing him of theft.

The woman reported a female entered her vehicle, prevented her from leaving and demanded her phone so she could not call police. About 10 minutes later, she said the group rummaged through a vehicle referred to as a Saturn and through her backseat before returning her phone and leaving. She later discovered a black Coach purse, two electronic cigarettes and the victim’s blue Patagonia jacket were missing.

Investigators identified Nelson as the woman who demanded the phone based on descriptions provided.

Castillo told police they arrived at the hotel around 9:45 p.m. and that he later entered a stairwell where Castro was demanding money. Castillo said Castro handed him a knife with the blade extended, which he closed and placed in his pocket. Castillo said he did not threaten anyone and told Castro to pull over during the pursuit. Officers later recovered a knife from Castillo’s jacket pocket, the documents say.

READ MORE > Ramsey County coverage

During a search of the Yukon, officers located the victim’s blue Patagonia coat on the front seat along with the purple laptop bag and black Puma backpack in the rear seating area.

Torres told police the group went to the hotel to meet Castro’s brother and obtain methamphetamine and fentanyl for use and sale. Nelson told investigators they were there to meet Castro’s brother because he owed money and claimed only Castro went upstairs.

The aggravated robbery charge carries a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison and a $35,000 fine. Castro’s fleeing charge carries a maximum sentence of three years and one day in prison and a $5,000 fine.

Court records show Castro has prior felony convictions including first-degree aggravated robbery in 2014, first-degree drug sale in 2018 and second-degree aggravated robbery in 2019. Nelson has prior convictions including felony receiving stolen property in 2018 and a misdemeanor theft conviction in 2025.

Castillo has prior convictions that include a gross misdemeanor fifth-degree controlled substance conviction in 2023 and a motor vehicle theft case in 2021 that was later deemed a misdemeanor.

> See more of our latest coverage

> Follow on X or YouTube for more

MN CRIME

A multimedia public safety information network providing breaking and in-depth coverage around Minnesota.

Previous
Previous

Driver Charged in Fatal Saint Paul Scooter Hit-and-Run

Next
Next

Burnsville Hotel Bust Leads to 1st-Degree Drug Charges