BCA: Feds Denying Access to Evidence in Pretti Shooting
BY MN CRIME STAFF
A still image from bystander video shows the killing of Alex Pretti by federal agents in south Minneapolis on Jan. 24, 2026.
The Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension says the FBI is refusing to share evidence in the fatal shooting of Alex Pretti and has not committed to cooperating in two other federal shooting investigations in Minneapolis.
The developments raise new uncertainty about how the cases will ultimately be reviewed, local authorities say.
> Sign up for the MN CRIME newsletter
In a statement released this morning, BCA Superintendent Drew Evans said the FBI formally notified the BCA on Feb. 13 that it will not provide access to information or evidence collected in the Jan. 24 shooting death of Alex Jeffrey Pretti.
PREVIOUSLY: Federal Agents Kill Man, 37, in Minneapolis
Evans said the BCA also renewed requests for cooperation and access to evidence connected to the Jan. 7 shooting death of Renee Nicole Good and the Jan. 14 shooting of Julio Sosa-Celis, but it remains unclear whether federal authorities will share any material related to those incidents.
PREVIOUSLY: Woman Fatally Shot During ICE Operation in South Minneapolis
Evans described the lack of cooperation as “concerning and unprecedented,” saying the agency will continue its investigations despite being denied access to key evidence. He said the BCA has informed the FBI and U.S. Department of Justice that Minnesota investigators remain willing to share information if federal officials change their position and would welcome a joint investigation. The agency said it will continue pursuing legal avenues to obtain relevant evidence while completing independent investigations that will ultimately be forwarded to prosecutors without recommendation.
PREVIOUSLY: ICE Agent Shoots Man After ‘Ambush’ Attack in Minneapolis
Pretti, 37, an intensive care nurse at the Minneapolis Veterans Affairs Medical Center, was shot and killed by federal agents the morning of Jan. 24 near the 2600 block of Nicollet Avenue in south Minneapolis. Video recorded by bystanders and reviewed by multiple news organizations shows Pretti holding a cellphone while recording federal agents and attempting to assist a woman during a chaotic encounter. Footage appeared to show agents deploying chemical irritant before wrestling Pretti to the ground. Video later showed an agent removing a concealed pistol Pretti was legally carrying before another agent fired multiple shots while Pretti was on the ground.
Flowers and signs at the vigil for Pretti in south Minneapolis.
Federal officials initially said Pretti advanced on agents and brandished a firearm, prompting defensive gunfire. That account has been disputed by video analysis, statements from local officials and reporting by multiple news outlets. Pretti’s family has repeatedly said he posed no threat and was attempting to help someone when he was killed. His legal record showed no violent criminal history and authorities confirmed he held a valid permit to carry.
PREVIOUSLY: Family Disputes Feds’ Claims After ICU Nurse Killed By Agents
The shooting sparked protests across Minneapolis and drew sharp criticism from state and local leaders, including calls for transparency and independent review of federal use of force. A federal judge later issued a temporary restraining order directing that evidence connected to the shooting be preserved.
Similar access concerns have emerged in the investigation into the fatal shooting of Renee Good, 37, who was killed during a federal immigration enforcement operation near East 34th Street & Portland Avenue. Officials said Good was a U.S. citizen observing federal activity and was not the intended target of the operation. State and county prosecutors began coordinating efforts to collect video, photos and other evidence directly from the public after cooperation between federal authorities and state investigators broke down.
PREVIOUSLY: Prosecutors Seek Public Evidence in Renee Good Killing
The third case referenced by the BCA involves the Jan. 14 shooting of Julio Sosa-Celis, which remains under active investigation. Authorities have released limited public details about that incident.
Evans said BCA investigations into all three shootings remain ongoing and will be completed even without federal cooperation. Anyone with information about the shootings involving Pretti, Good or Sosa-Celis is asked to contact the BCA at 651-793-7000.